Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Two Random Events

I'm flying to Delhi today to visit a friend so I had to get up early and come into the office to take care of a few last minute things. I had forgotten all the oddities one can see early in the morning. This very morning for example I saw two rather peculiar things, both of which I think merit comment more than usual.

The first was at first sight not so out of place. It was a man driving a motorcycle with a female passenger. The oddity came from the fact that the woman was a police officer. Somehow in Chennai I've seen many female police officers. Perhaps this is what they do to further prevent dating around these parts. If your date doesn't like you, you'll have to pay the baksheesh. I suppose that would be the worst way to have a date end. Of course, you'd have to live with the fact that the date would be over at 10PM in the first place... I think this goes to prove even further that although men have it bad here, women simply have it worse, when a police woman can't drive herself to work because her husband must be the driver. It is entirely possible that this is just one odd case out of 1000, but it still hit me wrong.

The second was just a beautiful irony. I live in a little alley. That is to say an unnamed street right next to a big road. On this street are ministers are all sorts, high court judges and the rest. This morning I was walking past a house and standing around were probably 25 men dressed identically. There were wearing all white and clearly without transportation. What struck me as ironic is that they were standing in front of the minister of transport's house. No one had any transportation. In the United States this would be seen as a form of protest. Here, somehow these were the minister's "team" of body guards and dudes who apparently just hang around with the minister.

Just a thought....

1 comment:

  1. But if a female cop was ever in a high-speed chase, having a driver would be really convenient if she needed to shoot the tires of the fleeing vehicle.

    Ok, that probably doesn't happen often in India's traffic.

    In any event, I found a site about India's first female officer, Kiran Bedi, who sounds pretty awesome:
    http://www.essortment.com/all/kiranbediindia_rloe.htm

    ReplyDelete