Thursday, January 7, 2010

In New Delhi

A friend of mine invited me to come to New Delhi for the weekend, so I jumped at the chance. So far I can see why he's always bragging on his city in comparison with Chennai. The weather here is cool (mid 50s) and yesterday the fog was so heavy I could barely see 50 ft ahead. Not exactly what I expected of India. Although, I guess I've come to realize I shouldn't expect or (not expect) anything from India. We spent some time walking around Lodhi Gardens which has been dubbed a national historical monument. It's also a big park sort of full of a who's who of Delhi. There are amazing tombs for a kingdom (The Lodhi Sultans) that began in the year A.D. 1207 as well as a jogging track and a swan pond. It reminded me in a small way of Central Park in New York, in the way the public space was laid out. The city of New Delhi itself was designed by a Frenchman, and so has some resemblance of Paris. There is in fact an Arc de Triumphe near the presidential palace.

AFter the Lodhi Gardens we walked around an area now known as Khan Market which has been converted from slums into an big market place full of outdoor kebab stands and posh restaruants and bars and book stores. Khan Market happens to be near Embassy Row and so while walking around I noticed a lot more foreign faces than I am accustomed to seeing in India. I also heard probably 30 different languages being spoken on a little sidewalk in front of the market.

Finally we went to a conert by a woman named Dobet Gnahore. Supposedly this is her first concert ever in India. The Alliance Francais in India is putting on a big festival (in India's huge cities) called BonJour India. So this lady is from the Ivory Coast and now lives in Paris. She (I'm told) sings in six languages. I don't really care about that, but she was decent. It was to me, like seeing Ani DiFrance, except family friendly. My friend, who speaks french, told me most of her songs are about revolution, and changing the old ways. Well, Ani Difrance, I thought. I guess the difference was that the Condulate General of th Ivory Coast was in attendance and dancing. I also saw many different religious garmets displayed (Christian, Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, and others I couldn't identify). But then again, I guess this is India and I should know better than to actually expect to see something.

I'm hoping to see the Lotus Temple while here It is one of the Bahaii's 8 existing temples, and also according to some the world's most beautiful building (I'm sure some arabs in dubai with their newly christened tallest building might contest this). Apparently I'm also going to watch rugby practice... Who knew. Many more adventures to come and I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment