Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Trying to readjust

Indian Standard Time is 10:30 ahead of the east coast in America. It's 5:30 ahead of Greenwich Mean Time and 3:30 ahead of Lebanon's time zone (the proper name I keep forgetting, but it contains Helsinki and Cairo as well). Therefore traveling from Lebanon to India is something like traveling from Seattle to Miami. The time difference is almost the same and the distance is similar. So taking a red-eye flight back in isn't too shocking. But since I got back to India I've been on Lebanon time. Sadly, when I eat dinner in Lebanon at 7PM that makes it 10:30PM here and that means everything is closed. CLOSED CLOSED CLOSED. Nothing is open. So I've been doing very poorly in adjusting to schedule and eating right. Fortunately last night I actually made the last train home and was ready to get to sleep at a semi-normal hour and wake up in time for breakfast. Things seemed to be going swimmingly, until i remember I am in Chennai. UGH!
I turned on my all-out and took a shower and was ready to go. I read until I was falling asleep and turned out the light. buzz. what was that? buzz. Oh man my feet are itching, I should switch my feet toward the all-out. buzz. Did something just bite my ankles? I turned on my handy dandy bug zapper. Zap! Got 'em. Ok now I can sleep. Buzz. That was definitely closer to my head. buzz. Ah shit, something just bit me on the face! I get up turn the lights back on and see two more mosquitoes flying around. I zap the hell out of both of them then turn the lights back out. buzz. What the hell is going on? I got bit on the shoulders, the ribs, the ankles, the LIP. I got bit on my freaking LIP. That was annoying. I turn the lights BACK on and zap three more mosquitoes. and throw a bed sheet over myself to avoid more bites. It is way to hot to be under any sheets. What the hell!? That bastard bit me THROUGH the sheet. At this point my zapper is running out of charge. I decide it's time for some old school mosquito killing. I let one guy land on my leg, and I smack my leg spattering a drop of blood (MY BLOOD) everywhere. There's another one. I let him land on my wrist, slap, he spatters some blood and now I check the time. It's 6:15 AM!!! How have I been dealing with mosquitoes for the past 5 hours!? Ugh. So much for getting up at 8:30 and eating a good breakfast.

I'm heading to Delhi tomorrow to visit a friend and I suppose I'll try to adjust to the time while I'm there and perhaps come back to Chennai with a little less edge. I think I can no longer go without a mosquito net. I don't care if there's no place to hang it, I don't care if it's the wrong size for my bed, I need a mosquito net. The bites on my face were the last straw!

No comments:

Post a Comment