Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sri Lanka is Dsitilled India

I haven't done so much compare and contrast of Sri Lanka and India, but it only seems natural. In some sense India is Sri Lanka's only neighbor. I believe the two countries are only separated by 10km of water, perhaps not even that much.

When I was in Colombo, I noticed mainly that Sri Lanka is better organized. In fact it is well organized, and India is completely disorganized. I believe there is exactly one issue that separates the two.

India is overcrowded. Sri Lanka is not. Sri Lanka has nice wide clean streets, with street cleaners actively working often. There are even trashcans near the streets! What I think is that Sri Lanka is essentially distilled India.

Sri Lanka is less crowded, has fewer languages, fewer distinct cultures, cleaner, more organized, has mountains and flat land, etc.

Basically, the idea of distillation is taking out MOST of the bad stuff and leaving MOST of the good stuff. I think that description fits.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the Sri Lanka detour, but I can no longer restrain myself from sharing Duran Duran videos featured there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6Cr5LZStE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCD4rtcOgHE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen a tea strainer? It is conical in shape. There is a saying that if you look at a map of India and Sri Lanka, India is the tea strainer with the sediments and below it is the distilled drop of tea that is Sri Lanka... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that while SL is cleaner, less crowded and perhaps safer, it's also more boring!

    ReplyDelete