Friday, January 29, 2010

The Dubai Tower

The Burj Dubai opened a few weeks ago as I suppose most people are now aware. I had flown to Beirut threw Bahrain last time and only seen a glimpse of many tall buildings. Nothing special I suppose having lived in Chicago and seen the Sears Tower (not the willis tower or the big willie or whatever the hell they're calling it now) almost daily.

But flying into Dubai I knew I had to get at least a look at the world's new number 1. I didn't have a good view from the airplane sitting in the dead center seat. Dubai was also foggy and dark at 6:00 AM. But as I was walking to meet my next plane I saw it! The thing even in the darkness, even with the fog, still looms large. It is simply enormous. I can't even begin to describe how big that building is. I'm a little nonplussed with the whole idea of building another ridiculous skyscraper that wastes resources and contributes very little good to humanity, but seeing that building, even in the distance made me forget it all for a moment.I understand the good that this building brings from an intellectual point of view. New Engineering and Architecture techniques had to be developed to stand something up so high. It also has nice aesthetic appeal. But it is so big. (<--- words men generally like to hear...)

This tower dwarfs the Sears tower, doubles the hieght of the empire state building, completely embarrasses the CN tower, the Petronas Towers, the Taipei 101, and even dominates (by several hundred feet!) the TV mast in North Dakota. Bahrain had talked about building a tower just ten meters taller to have the record. THAT, I would object to. But this building is a work of art in many senses. I hope to go to the observation deck at some point in the "near" future just to see the view.

To you crazy Arabs in the gulf states, I know you like big buildings and showing off how much money you have, but DAMN, this time you really outdid yourselves.

2 comments:

  1. I usually argue on behalf of architecture but I think competing to make the tallest building is kind of a male thing. The aesthetic of tall buildings seems like a hello solely made to foreigners. The people of the city aren't walking around with their necks cranes back to experience the whole thing. I now understand Paris' flat cityscape. Anything over three stories is a waste. If it was shown that having crazy tall structures attracts international business though, then I'd be all for it.

    Sorry to sound critical. I'm sure it was an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a youtube video called "big bigger biggest" and it describes the tech. required for the Burj Dubai. Use the keywords "big bigger biggest building" to find it, it's in 4 parts. A great documentary.

    ReplyDelete