Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Food adventures in Delhi

Making Naan in a Tandoor

That big hole in the ground is a tandoor. This picture is at Karim's restaurant near Jama Masjid. They do make some seriously good food for ridiculously cheap, but I'm still going to guess that there is something better in Asia than this.

"Apple Beer" = carbonated apple juice

This was a little shop called Duke Restaurant in a Tibetan Refugee Camp. It was a nice little sit down and sip on a cold-ish day. The Refugee Colony was amazing, more on that later.

Paan

This is a purely Indian concoction as far as I can tell. It is some sort of leaf wrapped around all sorts of flavorings. Generally it turns your mouth red and you chew on it like gum for a long time. This guy unfortunately loaded up my paan so much that I couldn't put it all in my mouth. Also he put way too many crazy and non-mutually friendly flavors together. I didn't enjoy this one too much, but I'm assured that better varieties exist. Funny enough, if you go to the right paan guy, you can get chewing tobacco put in there. I'm sure if you go to the REALLY right guy you can get marijuana ("marriage you wanna" in the Indian accent) put in there. I'll have to give it another try soon.

Masala Soda??

This is meant to be a digestive aid. I can only say it was quite bizarre. If you have been so unfortunate to try chicken suckers then you'll have an idea of how this tasted. See this for more frightening information; Chicken Suckers

I didn't know bees had feathers.

Seriously man! Come on, it's Beef Eater's Gin. I wonder if they messed this up intentionally because they find beef eating offensive... Of course Delhi has an enormous muslim population, so it's not beef eating that's offensive, it's drinking gin...

"Shawarma"

Having just come from Lebanon I'd eaten a lot of great shawarma recently, so I was excited to see this. To be fair, it was delicious! It was just a little awkward for me to call it shawarma. It was more like a chicken wrap with naan instead of pita and "garlic sauce" in the tray and not in the wrap itself. That, however, did not stop me from enjoying this greatly.

Enjoying "shawarma"

MMM "shawarma"

Give me a break, that is NOT chicago pizza!

I'll admit, I got very excited to see this sign. It even says "big slices." That certainly goes along with my concept of Chicago Pizza. I walked around to see what was happening. It was "thin" pizza with doughy crust not cooked in a big pan, just a pizza tray. I wouldn't try to pass that off as anyone's particular pizza. I also wouldn't try to pass that off as "big slices" especially if you're willing to invoke the holy name of chicago when it comes to pizza.

1 comment:

  1. Shawarmas look delicious. Your photo makes it look like a burrito but the photos I see online look more like gyros exploding with tasty goodness. Then there's this photo of a mega-shawarma:
    http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/17/shawarma.jpg

    If there is a REALLY right guy then maybe you can try bhang lassi during Holi and give a full report.

    ReplyDelete