Monday, January 25, 2010

Happy Republic Day

January 26, 1950: India adopts a constitution after being freed from the British Raj in 1947. Today is like our July 4 in some sense. In fact hear in northeast TN in january it feels like kingsport in northeast TN does on July 4th.

Up in Delhi there is a big parade and all around the streets today people are wearing pinned on India flags selling plastic India flags and the like. Every year since 1976 India has had a "chief guest" on this day and I'm sure he (always a man) is treated to a very nice republic day parade and made to think India is a wonderful and amazing place. Today, India's honored and distinguished guest is the President of South Korea. I hope he enjoys his time in Delhi very much. Funny enough, John Major (former British PM) was the honored guest in 1993. As well, India has had heads of state from Iran, Bhutan, Argentina, Saudi, Russia, and even last year was Kazakhstan's president, but never any honored guest from the states. I guess I'm not terribly surprised. Currently tensions are tight with USA, India, Pakistan attempting trilateral relations. What surprises me though is that India invited John Major... Oh well, I realize once again that I know NOTHING about India. Rather, I understand nothing about India.

As it is, India is a completely amazing and awe inspiring place, with more heartache and heartbreak and poverty than one can ever imagine. I truly wish good things for India's future and I think I'll make sure to go take part in some celebrations this evening. I really hope I get to see a nice fireworks display! I think I missed the big parade in Delhi, but that's ok, at least I can see things exploding and call it celebrating a country.

No comments:

Post a Comment