Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Happy Pongal

Happy Pongal! Pongal, if you're wondering (since I didn't properly know about it until recently) is the Tamil New Year. It's also the only holiday celebrated on the solar calendar within Hinduism. It is the also the celebration of the harvest. I figured it would be a good day to brew! Perhaps I'll go looking for some materials and supplies today. Afterall the harvest has just finished.

However, I've been interested for some time in these blessing markers that people draw on the ground (called Kolam). Pongal brings out a lot of these. Yesterday afternoon the women who work at the institute were drawing some fancy ones in front of the main building so I took the liberty of photographing the process. I hope you find it as interesting as I did! This whole process by the way is intriguing and artistic and only took the women about 30 minutes from start to finish.




























3 comments:

  1. Pongal is one of my favorite celebrations. If you have an opportunity, go to a village to experience Pongal. I did (I'm American) in 2000. My experience is here- http://www.alaivani.com/Default.aspx?tabid=56&EntryID=198

    Pongal-o Pongal! En Iniya Pongal Thirunal vazhtukkal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the harvest season is really late (or incredibly early depending on how you look at it).

    Beautiful photos. The seventh one down is especially lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. like! ;)
    I'm very much looking forward to the colors and the art. This being a beautiful example of both.

    ReplyDelete