Thursday, December 10, 2009

A "peaceful" night's sleep

I don't have a clock. I don't have a watch. I don't have a phone. I don't take my computer back with me every night, since I don't have internet. Most of the day (and night) I have no idea what time it is except for the clock on my computer. In some ways I like it a little better that way as it helps me to forget that night life here is completely non-existent. While sleeping I use an insect repellent called "All Out." I think it basically releases trace amount of insecticides into the room and the mosquitoes among other things leave or die. I've been sleeping with my feet very near the source because they have been marred the worst since I got here. Last night, in the midst of my sleep, the electricity went out. I had no insecticide, no fan, no lights, no watch, and for the first time in India, no real sound. I happened to be awake at that time because I don't sleep well here. But last night in the middle of the night, there were no crows cawing, no dogs barking, no cats howling, no machines operating, not even a motorcycle to be heard. It was silent. That is, until you consider the intense ringing in my ears. My ears have been bombarded here as much as my nose and eyes, and I finally realized how much that had affected me. I tried to lie motionless for as long as possible so as to not hear anything. I could hear every harmonic in the audible range. I have been subjected to so much noise pollution in this country I can't begin to imagine the permanent damage done to my hearing in only one month. I thought I was asking people to repeat themselves all the time because they speak with such a heavy accent. Now I know it's all the damn car and truck horns and loud speakers incessantly wailing that have caused my hearing to suffer. Nonetheless I was allowed nearly 15 minutes (so it seemed) without much external sound. That was the first real peace I've had in one month.

No comments:

Post a Comment