Friday, December 4, 2009

Beach: Take 2

Part of my mission to Pondicherry this week was to go lounge on the beach. Sip coconut milk straight from a coconut, get a small tan, and swim in the Bay of Bengal. At least down in Pondicherry it's "clean." Well, here's a small sampling of the beach view:

The Gandhi Statue

Perhaps the second most visited tourist thing in Pondicherry (the most is almost certainly Auroville, I have no interest in it yet). I tried to get out my camera and BOOM I was bombarded kids selling every manner of trinket that I never wanted to buy. So I got my one picture and got the hell out of there. I had to get the other picture of myself with the Gandhi statue the next morning.

Seaside

This was a bit disappointing. The only person I saw even try to go into the ocean was an Indian man who was trying to bathe. He got in there and nestled himself into a big crevice in some of the rocks. A big wave came and knocked him against more rocks as his footing wasn't very good. He couldn't have weighted more than 120 lbs (~54 kg) and so the water just overwhelmed him. Maybe not the best bath he'd ever had. I didn't really want my head slammed into rocks while attempting to body surf.

Necessitated by huge rocks

Oh well, you can't win 'em all. It seems like in India you can't win many of them. It's almost like I started identical to the New Jersey Nets this season...

Instead of the Kingfisher Penguin in Chennai

I don't know if it's a fascination with round animals or what, but I'm telling you, this whole use an animal to collect trash doesn't work very well in India (at least the India I've seen so far). Pondicherry did just pass a no littering act, but I can tell you, it isn't enforced, nor is it enforceable.

Strangely, I'm reminded of a Bill Withers song

I'm gonna spread the news, that if it feels this good being used, you just keep on usin' me... Until you use me up.

1 comment: