Sunday, December 6, 2009

Indian Methodology Part 4: Bicycles, Scooters, and Motorcycles

Riding Three to a motorcycle

Riding three to a scooter

PEDALING THE WRONG WAY!!!!

Extremely common scene, everyone two to a cycle, no helmet


I can contain myself no longer! I’ve been asking myself many of the same questions from day one, but this one irritates me as much as any. Why the hell do you pedal a bicycle with your heels or the arch of your foot? I can’t take it anymore. I said it once before, but I’ll repeat for posterity. This is the reason India has none of it’s 1,160,000,000 citizens to ride in the Tour de France. What eats at me more about this nonsensical pedaling style is that it generates no power and can seriously injure your foot if you try to do so. Power needn’t be such an issue, but when you pedal around 2,3,4, or 5 people at a time, or more customarily a huge-ass cart full of fruit or other goods you need to generate some power. Am I wrong in assuming one you learn how to ride a bicycle you experiment with what’s comfortable and what works when picking out your own style? I think not. Somehow, everything here is rushed, rushed, rushed when traveling. Crowd around as much as possible and get to destination fast, fast, fast then do nothing. Except on bikes! What’s going on here. Bikes move so much more slowly and people seem to be comfortable with this. In fact I can jog as fast as most people ride. I saw a kid once riding here and he was on a bike that was WAY to big for him. He had to extend his legs all the way and push down his tip toes just to get the pedals all the way around. Wouldn’t you know it, the kid was blowing by everybody! Hello, am I the only who sees this and is terribly confused by it?

No comments:

Post a Comment