Sunday, December 20, 2009

It's all for show

As is well portrayed in Western media, the middle east is full of muslims. I've been talking to a lot of young people here and asking them about. I have many cousins in University here now and I've met some of their friends so I ask about the religious view here. Popular consensus: "Islam" is popular here. I met a girl who works in Bahrain. She tells me every weekend Bahrain is completely full of saudis who come to drink and party. Lots of sex and drugs etc. All the stuff that is strictly forbidden by Islam, but they do it anyway. The same applies to Lebanon. My cousins and their friends say all the muslim girls wear the headdress and that's it. No prayers, no obeying halal food standards. They just make a show of their religion much in the same way many people in America celebrate christmas and easter.

However, in agreement with the western world, almost EVERYONE here (except muslim men) out outraged at the treatment Muslim women receive at the hands of muslim men. I just read an article (on a muslim's blog) that the sale of bikinis in muslim countries has sharply risen recently. There was a big controversy over Miss Indonesia (not a muslim) wearing a bikini in the miss world pageant in 2006. She received death threats for not obeying the "laws" of islam. So all this being said, it appears (according to the people I know who live here) there are very few truly practicing muslims. The ones who are truly practicing who won't know because they are quiet and kept to themselves and don't proselytize. I have a cousin who's roommate is actually practicing and she claims this girl is the only one who obeys the dietary laws and prayers every day, but doesn't wear the "required" dress.

I guess I really shouldn't be surprised. Religions which are too restrictive never seem to have many "true" followers. I guess according to Islam, there will be almost no one in heaven. But you know what they say...
You go to heaven for the weather and hell for the company. If Islam is correct, then we'll be joined in hell by most of the islamic brotherhood and all of them who like to party.

2 comments:

  1. You've satisfied my curiosity about the importance other religions place on rituals. I suspected other faiths had slackers too. I personally don't feel ritual is important though. I don't know Scripture well but I remember studying Galatians and what I got from it was the idea that anyone can go through the motions of their religion without it meaning much. That being said, it's worth knowing where the line is between faith and hypocrisy.

    And as for the Muslim dress code for women, I'm not sure I share the Western view that it's somehow suppressive. I would think that, in a world in which other women's issues were resolved, Muslim dress would put women at an advantage, a feminist's dream in which any woman could only be judged by intellect and actions rather than T&A (although there is feminist thought that women should be able to get what they want through sexuality. But that doesn't seem very progressive). I'm not sure that being allowed to wear revealing clothing and introducing an idealized female body type has done the Western world any favors. However maybe changing the rules on clothing is just a small step toward resolving other inequalities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People fall on all sides of the coin on this issue. It's not considered repressive by the women who like it. I'm of the opinion that if you want to wear it go ahead. If not, don't. You don't have to be Muslim to dress modestly. In any case, Islam has way too many "rules" and therefore produces a lot of slackers. On the other hand if we didn't make such a big deal out of T&A then women could dress however they want anyway. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete