Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Importance of Being Earnest

"And there wasn't even a single 'know what I mean verne?' in the whole thing. Bogus." If you can tell me where that quote comes from, then
a) I'm totally impressed
b) I'm a little frightened
c) The rest of this post is for you

The last week was full of performances all over the city. It was in part hosted by our ultra-swank hotel "the Park" and had modern dance and other sorts of things. I am mildly averse to the Park Hotel because they boast having the best bar in the city, "the Leather Bar" and also boast some of the cities "best" restaurants. Basically they are tooting their own horn. I'm not impressed with them. Plain and simple, they wouldn't cut it in Chicago or New York. That's probably another gripe for another day. For all my misgivings with the Park, at least they do have the gumption to put on a nice festival.

I got to see the final three performances. The first was the aforementioned "From Madison to Madurai." The final two were dance performances, with the final night also having a musical selection preceding the dancing.

OPEN ADMISSION: I am an uncultured swine when it comes to dance. I know nothing, and I don't really appreciate it. If I do appreciate it, it's because it appeals to my untrained eye and those who understand it would probably ridicule me as being "childish" with the tastes. Now that THAT is over I'll continue with what I really meant to say.

The dancing didn't do it for me. The first night was traditional indian dance "turned on it's head." I can't tell if the dancers were good or not. I appreciated how difficult what they were doing was, but the dance itself made no sense to me. I thought a couple of the dancers were always late with their motions too, but then again I don't know anything. The second night was "avant-garde german dance" I knew with a description like that I'd hate it. It actually was mildly entertaining, despite the fact that it made NO F-ing SENSE! I was sort of done with the whole ordeal when one of the "dancers" who had done very little dancing up to that point starting vomiting on the microphone while "singing" moon river. I thought that was slightly over the line of decent taste. Nonetheless, I really did get something important out of the festival.

I realized the importance an attending cultural activities around Chennai. I will soon truly abandon my hope of nightlife and good times past 10:30 PM, but to supplement that Chennai has loads of performances. Again, I don't understand Karnatic music, but it sort of has a home here in Chennai. Films, plays, and dancing are also prevalent here. These are the things that Chennai's socialites attend. Without these things, the social structure of Chennai would be nothing. So indeed it is important to attend them at least from a social perspective. Truth be told, music is something I've always loved seeing live, I just haven't gone so much recently in the states because ticketmaster has caused prices to be eight-bajillion dollars for popular acts and 4 bajillion dollars for acts that I really want to see. Underground music is ok, but you have to know where to find it.

Chennai has LOTS of musical performances, and I might just get something out of them. If nothing else it is pleasant to veg out and listen for a while. Since the sense of urgency in America doesn't prevail here (outside of traffic and queues) most concerts have "nice" seating and one can just veg and listen.

All in all, the importance is being cultural in a new culture. I don't get it, and most of the time I won't like it, but it's better than being bored and close-minded.

1 comment:

  1. Any mention of the Leather Bar will never not be funny.

    And any mention of "avant-garde german dance" will have me eagerly expecting something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHZR9SA5pOg

    ReplyDelete