Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Search for Good Beer Continues

My search for good beer WITHIN India almost ended in Bangalore. I thought that would be fitting for such an excellent trip. The location: Millers 46. I was told that Chimay was on the menu...

Moreover, Millers 46 is a Steak House. A STEAKHOUSE IN SOUTH INDIA!!! Of course, it's Lent and I'm not indulging in that sort of thing now. But I thought I had really found something. I go to the top floor to look down all three stories at the ant-like people below. I was REALLY HIGH UP (<--- a touch of sarcasm). The menu comes out, moment of truth... What's this? Chimay? YES! Orval? Yes! Two trappist beers on the menu, in India? YES YES YES!!! Oh happy day, I have found the place I will come to every weekend in India so long as I stay here.

What's that you say? You don't have Chimay, or Orval, or Carlsberg, or Tuborg, or Foster's? Really? There are 7 beers on the menu, and you're out of 5 of them? What do you have? Kingfisher and kingfisher strong. F*** ME!!!! You're gonna tease me like that and then dash my hopes! You bastards! My sister immediately sang her refrain

"Dear India,
If an item is on the menu, it should be in the restaurant..."

I died just a little inside. To make a point of protest I did not order a beer. I ordered the cheapest veg thing on the menu and tap water and left a very small tip. Actually, the tip was quite large for Indian standards, I guess I should have rethought that one first. 8% seemed like an insult, but in fact in India it's not an insult, it's actually a complement... Oh well.

I was so certain the search for good beer had ended (now for the second time in India). No dice! Why, why India must you tease me so? I would rather just not know that good beer had once been here than to be excited by it and then dashed.
I had given up my search, but I think I will now need to up my efforts. Delhi, Jaipur, Mumbai, Goa, and Kerala (somewhere) are slated. I don't know how many I'll actually visit, but it's about damn time to find good beer somewhere in this country of 1.2 billion people...

No comments:

Post a Comment