Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Koshy's in Bangalore

I think part of my responsibility in writing this blog is to give reports of eating and drinking joints where something special is to be seen. Koshy's in Bangalore is one such place. I'd heard about it from my host, but had no idea what it was. It's right next to the Hard Rock Cafe in Bangalore, so I figured it was probably some uppity place that I'd generally avoid in the states. I was wrong again. Shock, awe, surprise, Clark was wrong about something in India...

Koshy's is a leftover from the Brits. It was THE british pub in bangalore for quite some time. We even ordered a plate of chips. I would certainly have ordered a plate of fish and chips if it had been Friday, but since it is Lent, and I don't eat meat aside from fish on Fridays, it was a no go, but hell, I'll eat some French Fries and drink some whiskey. What's this, Seagram's Whiskey? Not Tamil Nadu crappy Whiskey with methanol? Yes PLEASE! Wait, it costs how much? Are you sure that's how much a full one costs? That's the price for a half in Chennai. Really, it's that cheap? Ok, well, make it a double! Hey, is that actually ketchup? Cool. Of course, this wasn't ONLY a british style pub, it also had a full Indian menu, and we ordered some chilly panneer just to check it out. It was also good. The whole point, however, is that this was an authentic leftover from the brits in south india, and a really nice atmosphere. Apparently, Koshy's is a Bangalore staple. Locals have known about it all their lives and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. So, when I get back to Bangalore, I'll go visit Koshy's again.

No comments:

Post a Comment