Monday, March 29, 2010

Almost getting arrested

This is way out of sequence with the rest of the blog, but I figured I should write it down before I forget about it. Last night I stayed at my institute for a long time being an internet fiend. Chatting away with people, trying to stay up to catch the score of the Tennessee-Michigan State game. Well, I got heading home about 1:30 AM here. It takes me a while to walk home. Sadly, I couldn't catch a rickshaw. The only one that stopped for me asked for 4 times the price I was willing to pay. When he finally came down to twice the price I was more than halfway home. I hate those little yellow mosuito taxi drivers! So I finally made it back home about 2:45 AM. In front of my house, the gate is locked at night, and it's usually too dark to see the lock on the gate. For this reason, sometimes I just hop over the fence, and open the main door to my second floor apartment. Wouldn't you know it, for the first time in nearly 5 months of being abroad I saw a police officer in my neighborhood. He saw me hopping the fence and rode up on his motorcycle to harass me.

Are you kidding me!? I've never seen a PoPo in my neighborhood, not once. The first time I see you he harasses me for potential breaking and entering. Basically I had to show him and demonstrate for him that I actually had the correct keys to open the locks I claimed I had.

Once that happened, I told the piggy sorry and thanked him. Luckily, I didn't have to pay him off, I didn't have to wake up my landlords, I didn't have to worry about a police raid or any of the other threats that generally go with this sort of accused activity. Ugh! India, give me a break. Throw me a freaking bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment