Thursday, March 4, 2010

IISc campus

India has a lot of Institutes for research and things. The idea of the traditional university as we think of it in America is somewhat uncommon here. As far as I was concerned I thought the IISc (Indian Institute of Science) was sort of like my home at IMSc, which is a small campus and a few buildings. Not many grad students, no undergrads, but lots of research (and in my case, blogging) happening.
Well, IISc reminded me in many ways of IIT here in Chennai. It's a big spacious campus with clean roads, quiet and removed from the busy city around it, and a pleasant place to spend an afternoon. The hostels/dorms look a little bit like prisons, but otherwise a really cool place. Now that I've seen it I'm a little sad they didn't make me on offer for a postdoctoral position, but then again, if I'd gone to Bangalore first I might not like it as much. I'd probably think of it as crazy and backward like I do Chennai, and I would've thought of chennai as a pretty cool place. Although, Bangalore is MUCH cleaner, more cosmopolitan, and has beer on tap...

In any case, if you get a chance to go to Bangalore and need some respite from the busy city, Lalbagh Botanic Gardens are cool, and IISc campus is really lovely.

Mimosa in bloom

The first airplane designed and built entirely by indians in india

A funky tree root

Nice to not have an aural assault

Gorgeous Flower Garden in the center of campus

No comments:

Post a Comment