Sunday, November 15, 2009

Indian Methodology Part 1: Alcohol

There is an enormous social stigma against alcohol here! In front of every bar there is a placard that says

"Liquor destroys family, life, society" or something like that. I'll get a picture soon and post it. I haven't been taking my camera to bars since I'm solely focused on getting a damn beer.

Anyway, beer is sold at American prices, can only be purchased in "Wine Shops" where they don't sell wine, just beer and liquor. At bars, which can only be operated inside hotels, the beer selection is something like this:
a) Crappy Indian Beer
b) Crappy Indian Beer with more alcohol.

Well, guess which one I drink?...

In any case, I was talking with several Indians about this, and the biggest problem is that Indians (especially southerners) don't distinguish between one drink and alcoholism. Funny enough, tobacco and marijuana are not really problems here. Indians will claim to you that no one smokes marijuana (or as they say, "marriage you wanna" or "mary edge wanna") but that's a total load. I smell easily 10 times a day on the street. I think part of it is that the short term effects of a pack of cigarettes a day are not seen much. But the short term effects of getting drunk evoke ideas of husbands beating wives, fighting, belligerence and all manner of socially unacceptable behaviors. However, one beer a day with dinner, or one glass of wine a day with dinner (much in the style of western europe) doesn't lead to alcoholism or fighting (accept those persons who are assholes anyway). Indians just don't see it that way.

The idea that I PRODUCE MY OWN BEER is completely fascinating to Indians here. I was asked if I'd give a short lecture on how to make it. Actually, now that I'm here with my yeast I think I can make Apple Cider. Apples are really cheap, something like 10 Rs. per Kilo. All I need now are the following items
1) A peeler
2) A corer
3) A way to release CO2
4) Sanitizer (bleach will do is I can get boiling water)
5) Boiling water

I think I'm on the way to making booze here. Forget this bar nonsense. I can just use screw top bottles (plastic) and make still cider. If I make it weak strength (like 7% as opposed to the 14.5 I made a while back) I'll be swimming in delights of alcohol in about 6 weeks.

This brought up some interesting questions with my Indian pals. "In America is it ok to come to work with beer on the breath?" I said, not exactly, but drinking time is 5 o'clock. I was asked, "How can you get from work to bar so fast?" "Easy" I said it's downstairs and across the street from your workplace. By 5:05 you can have a cold beer in front of you. God Bless America, or rather, The many many gods of the hindu pantheon bless america!

In any case, my drinking habits are quite unacceptable to those here in northeast TN. But back home in northeast TN, they are ok. I tried also explaining what moonshine is, and how in Philadelphia every bar that's even worth going to has a minimum of 30 beers to choose from. Even the crappiest bar I went to there has 12 beers available.

I also tried to explain what hops are and how disappointing not having them in my beer is. Ah, well, I'll have to figure out someone who has blackmarket connections, and pay the baksheeh to get my IPA in India. Seriously. IPA should be available everywhere in the whole damn country. It was developed for this country! AH!

Well, cider and "alcoholism" here I come. Apparently, to Indian standards, my mind has already been adversely affected...

I need to go down to Pondicherry. It's a former French colony, basically known for selling cheap booze with no tax, and having awesome beaches, and good french food...

I'll keep you all updated on the search for India Pale Ale in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment