Tuesday, November 17, 2009

First Attempt at a Beach Day

I shouldn't really call yesterday's adventure a "Beach Day." It was more like walking along the boardwalk after an early dinner. What I found was essentially what I had expected: bikini clad babes and buff nearly naked men trying to pick up said babes for a ride in their sweet mustang. Oh wait, that's California in the mid to late part of the 20th century. THIS, this is the Bay of Bengal in conservative south India. Let me just show you a few pictures to emphasize my point.




This must be my favorite picture of the beach so far! This is an actual bb gun firing about 5 feet away from little balloons. Moreover, there are people walking in between the wooden backings of these little prize boards. Having a still distinctly American eye toward things I have a couple problems with this. I quote "You'll shoot your eye out kid." That's why little Raplhie had so much trouble convincing someone to give him the Red Rider bb gun! Because people use them to shoot balloons from five feet away with living breathing human beings right next to the target. Of course, if you miss, then you shouldn't be shooting anyway, but there's no safety check...
You'll shoot your eye out kid!


The Fish Fry Stall: There must be 100 of these right on the beach. This, by the way, is elliot's beach near besant nagar. It's walking distance from where I work. Albeit, it's a long(ish) walk.
What to do during Lent.




These next two pictures are just general scenery at the beach. WOW, look at all that skin being shown! Go directly to the beach (with or without shoes) from your workplace or your hanging out place. Don't bother to pack a picnic or bring a case of cold beer. Just walk on down there in full dress. Also, particularly fun is being a foreigner with a camera! I went walking down there with my shoes and socks on, but this was to avoid stepping on the garbage and getting more bug bites.
Scantily Clad Indians



Ocean City, eat your heart out!




I don't know about you, but I haven't witnessed Ganesh hanging around Iowa too often. Perhaps it happens all the time and I choose to ignore it. In any case, this is supposedly American Sweet Corn. I don't know why India needs to important corn, it seems they can grow it plenty well on their own. Maybe I should buy some and claim that I'm from Illinois and this corn is not up to snuff. Perhaps I can get a discount. My price would drop from the foreigners' price back down to the normal persons' price.
Sri Ganesh visits Illinohiowa.



So there you have it dear reader, my first experience at a Tamil Nadu beach during daylight hours. I will report again once I see other beaches, but it appears my idea of being near the Bay and having the ability to take a beach day every saturday has just been shattered in a rather violent way.

1 comment:

  1. Is this marina beach? Alleged to be the second longest beach in the world at 4 miles---guess they have not been to Hilton head. Did you see the celebrity photo stall. How about the monkey fortune tellers (cards). You need to check out Fishermans Cove or Ideal Beach Resort south of Chennai. Its a nicer beach.

    ReplyDelete