Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day One Lessons

The first thing about Chennai is that it's hot. Not like atlanta hot, but more like equator hot. I got in at 2AM this morning and as soon as I stepped off the plane I was sweltering. The air is really heavy and I had a hard time keeping normal breath last night as my lungs struggled to take in so much moisture.

The second thing I noticed is that Chennai looks like a really, really dirty Beirut.
The food at the institute is not so great. Apparently it's a lot better than it was according to a Canadian guy who's here for 2 years. Although, I just got sent to a swank area of town called Raja Annamalai Puram (or RA Puram) where they've rented a three man apartment for me and two other post docs. It looks like lots of good eating is very close by. I haven't had the chance yet to explore, but according to google maps it looks like I'm close to the tomb of St. Thomas (that would be doubting Thomas). That means I'm also close to the beach! There is no nonbeach season here. Soon the temperatures will drop all the way into the 70s.

I have a bunch of pictures from today including stray dogs, cows around the institute grounds, random pictures of the institute. I am so so so so so so sad I missed getting a picture of a painted condom add written completely in Tamil save for the single word "AIDS" written in the middle of a ribbon.

People here love the fact that I know some Tamil. I've already said some hilarious things to them. I'm sure it's coming out as something unintended and sexual, but I suppose that's what being a foreigner does to one's language skills. I'll keep learning as much as I can, and maybe in a couple months when the first of you start visiting me, I'll be able to haggle with cab drivers.
I also heard that the subway 3-month pass is something like 100-300Rs. In case you're keeping track that's somewhere between 2 and and 7 dollars US! WoW! I won't be needing a car methinks.

Lesson Three for me is that I'm the weird one. People have no qualms staring because I'm a foreigner. They sort of don't get it. So they stare with no inclination toward my personal comfort. Again, that personal space thing is a little foreign to them here.

I also noticed how utterly prevalent the head wiggle is here. I'll try to get a video of it and post it so you can really see what I'm talking about.

There are at least 100 new things I'm trying to adjust to. This is enough for today though.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I loved the head wiggle. When Mike got back after 6 months in Chenni, he would wiggle his head when he talked. I expect you will do that also!....Donna

    ReplyDelete