Monday, April 19, 2010

Making a Still (limoncello part 3)

I have no idea about the legal regulations in India, but as the saying goes...

"In India, the answer is always 'no'... unless it's 'yes.'"
I'm just assuming that perhaps I did something mildly illegal. Oh well, tons of bootleggers all around and a black market that can provide 50 bottles of whiskey at 3AM with hoards and hoards (and hordes) of drugs (and drug smugglers) I figure they won't even realize there is a moonshiner (the term is probably something else) producing liquor very quietly for personal consumption. So, how does one do this?

I have to ask for a still. "The fixer had promised the ability to get one." I couldn't get ahold of him in time (or rather he couldn't get ahold of his guy on my schedule) so I had to take matters into my own hands.
It turns out the things that are easier to get in India than a still include:

1) GUNS
2) DRUGS (any variety)
3) Sex (again, any variety).

My sister points out that this can be said to be true in the united states as well. I guess I'd contend that you can legally BUY a still in the united states too, but these items are easier to get on the black market than a still. Who knew?

So, off to MAKE a still. I have very little idea what I'm going to do or the challenges facing this particular endeavor, but this is definitely all for the sake of science! (I have no other intention than to produce high quality alcohol for scientific purposes. Definitely not for consumption, no definitely not that.)

Pressure cooker, high grade plastic tubing (copper is nearly impossible to find, plus I'd need welding equipment...) and something to affix the tubing to the pressure release valve. Pressure cooker... Expensive. Oh wait, how about the second hand store(s). We found a nice 10L cooker for Rs 700. The usual price is 750 for 5L.
Tubing... Rs 14/meter... And a nice perfectly sized affixing tool for Rs 9. Ok, we're in business. Now, how does this thing work?

Attempt one: Run the tubing up through the ceiling fixtures and across the room into a small bucket with a hole in the bottom. Put water in the bucket to cool the tube (condenser) and allow goodness to come out.
EVERYTHING IS WORKING! OH SWEET SASSY MOLASSY! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! IT'S WORKING. OH SHIT! IT'S NOT CONDENSING! F*&^ this is hot! all the alcohol is vaporizing... SHIT SHIT SHIT. Well I collected what I could. It worked.
Over the course of the week I played with ways of condensing alcohol and finally figured out what to do...

In the end I need to run the tubing actually a very short distance from the still, put as much ice as my poor freezer could make in a big bucket and put as much tubing as possible in the water. Collect the alcohol into a carboy. That ended up working. I distilled 30 L of alcohol into 3. If I'd gotten my still right the first time I might have pushed that number to 4.5 or even 5... Oh well, I distilled it.

The trick was the second distillation.

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome and a tad comical, especially the "mildly illegal" part.
    Of course I've got a couple questions - like what's the hole in the bucket about..?
    And I can't wait to give your latest creation a taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about the process so this is educational. For science!

    So is sex illegal in India? Kidding. I assume you mean extramartial sex/prostitution. I would hope that a married man could talk his wife into putting out every once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure exactly how sex works in India. But I'm pretty sure a man is allowed to rape his wife.
    But a woman cannot be divorced on grounds of infidelity... Go figure. I just don't understand India.

    ReplyDelete