Saturday, April 17, 2010

Iceland's Volcano

Iceland's Volcano... It's officially messed up my travel plans too. I'm en route to Amsterdam. My route: Chennai to Dubai to Bucharest to Amsterdam. Funny thing, I thought Romania would be free from volcanic ash. Wrong. The volcano sent a second plume of smoke up into the atmosphere. I'm not really upset. It's a bit annoying, because it's gonna cost me a lot of money to get the hell out of Dubai. Funny thing, Romania shut its air space at midnight and my flight was supposed to be at 4:00 AM. Oh well. Now I've gotta figure out where I'm going next. I guess Beirut's looking good again.

So to all you travelers out there who are stranded just like myself. Fret not, the volcano probably won't erupt for more than a year straight (cf 1821). But hey, it really, really could be worse. So far, I've met a tunisian, a couple of french ladies traveling my way (sort of) and I was just chatting with a lovely older lady from Alabama on her way back to Atlanta for medical treatment. I got to talk about wine, lebanese food, and pork barbeque and the intricacies of red beans and rice. All while here in lovely dubai airport. Oh yeah, also, I got another stamp in my passport! Woo! But getting on to amsterdam... Well, that looks relatively unlikely. But hey, I've also got a nice liter of homemade hooch traveling with me somewhere... (I received a handshake for this announcement from my new alabamastani friend). Dubai's not SO bad, and also, I'll probably make an impromptu trip to beirut. Could be worse.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the travel delay.

    I'm curious to see how the volcanic ash might effect weather. I have a fascination with how volcanic ash (among other things) created the cold, dark summer of 1816. Not that one volcano will cause anywhere near that much damage.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, India and the rest of south asia will certainly more than make up for a single lost summer. I'm wondering where all the lost winters of India went...

    ReplyDelete