Friday, April 2, 2010

Back to the Lotus Temple

Last time I went to the Lotus Temple is cauhgt me by surprise. I went with my friend and our driver dropped us off on the backside of the temple's grounds and so when the temple was in sight it appeared to be really huge. The fog had given it an eery presence. This time around, it looked like it does in all the promotional literature. I gotta say, the Lotus Temple is my favorite building in India. After I went and sat in it again and got a few moments of quiet (even in India) I went down to the information center where they were showing a video on the construction of the Temple. It is quite impressive to say the very least.

Being Baha'i means that they build 9 sided temples. In case you're wondering that calls for 9 40-degree angles to be built. It's not the easiest job to undertake. Moreover, the design process of the temple was incredible. Check the pictures below to see how intricate the structure is. The construction involved all sorts of new engineering techniques and the marble which sits on the outside was specially crafted in Italy over a period of more than 2 years. All told, Lotus Temple is my favorite building in India. In fact, it might be my favorite building in the world. It's worth the visit if you ever get the chance.









2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. It is one of my favorite buildings in India, too. I have been to the Bahai'i temple in Chicago, but India far surpasses it for me. The story of it's building bought tears to my eyes because if they can get that many people to do this work so meticulously and so coordinated, imagine the human potential that exists in this world, and that gets wasted every single moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live just 2 miles form the Baha'i temple in Wilmette. To me it is on par with this temple as far as grandeur, but the Lotus temple is just so elegant and delicate. It's a huge overwhelming structure that looks as if it's just barely hanging on and wants to open up to the sun. It's just beautiful. Also, the fact that so many people worked on it of many different races and creeds gives it added appeal.

    ReplyDelete