Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Evening Bar Scene in Jaipur

I need a beer. I need a good beer, and soon. This is my mantra in India. Sadly, none has yet been had. Up until Jaipur, since my last night in America, I'd had only a few. I got one in Dubai, and three from Yvonne's suitcase...

So, Jaipur seemed like a cool enough, relaxed enough town that bars aren't so hard to come by, and aren't so dumpy as Chennai's. We find a place that's selling cold beers for Rs. 80. I'm afraid this means (the "beer" whose name I refuse to say) and nothing else. Well, we walk in, and being two westerners we are immediately led away from the good drinking into a dining room. Problem is... NO ONE ELSE IS IN THE DINING ROOM! It was also lit by fluorescent bulbs and smelled a little bit like cleaner and old carpet...
We insisted we'd rather go downstairs to the bar. Somehow, Indians want to hide away their sinister bars from well seeming westerners such as ourselves... Whatever!

Finally, we made it down into the lair. It was a normal bar. Nice comfy seats, TVs showing cricket, nice drink menu, food menu. Drinks are CHEAP! We ordered maybe a few more than we should have and enjoyed the hell out of them. Also, I ordered up an array of delicious Indian foods to go with Indian whiskey (no good beer unfortunately). But, if I were in Jaipur instead of Chennai, I think I'd have found my local bar...

No comments:

Post a Comment