Thursday, April 8, 2010

Leopold's

The search for good bee in India is officially ended! I found ONE good beer at ONE bar. Again, Leffe! Same as in Dubai. This time I was in Bombay. I'd been trying with all my might to avoid the famous and infamous Leopold's in Colaba. Everyone talks about it as the place to be. Basically it's an expat bar with crappy food and a beer selection of about 10. They also have beer on draft, and serve that fancy imported stuff. So there it is, Leffe Blonde for Rs 275. Damn, that's expensive for a beer! Alright, they even serve it in a Leffe glass! Oh, this glass is covered in dust and dirt... I guess not too many order Leffe around here. I take a quick look around, what do I see? Oh yes, the hoards of bottles of imitation beer. WT and F!? Even when good beer is available I guess we see that cheap wins. Perhaps, more bars should adopt the strategy of Exchange Bar and Grill in NYC where drink prices change as the night wears on. Supply and demand curves. In this way, the demand of crappy usually remains strong with low prices and diminishing supply. Well, KF my friend, you are about to see your stock plummet! Good bye, no more KF. On the other hand, Leffe would probably remain the same price.

Anyway, I got my good beer in the right glass, albeit a dirty one and enjoyed heartily. I then ordered some food. Being Friday and Lent means I can have me some fish. What to order at a british style pub near the arabian sea? Fish and chips of course. Hmmm, this fish smells a bit off. Ah well, it's deep fried, what can be the harm? Fast forward a few hours later: I'm on the toilet with mumbai levels of pollution coming out both ends. Fantastic friday evening. It was almost authentic America, oh except that vomiting is usually induced by drinking too much, not getting food poisoning...

So, Leopold's you proved yourself in one way and one way only. I, however, do think I'll be ordering fish and chips with you anytime soon. Yvonne maintained health by ordering the veg dish. Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment