Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Fixer

So, I'm getting way out of sequence here, but there are alot of stories to tell from the west coast (of india) trip and a few interesting things have happened back in Chennai since.

I went with one of my German pals to a club in Chennai called Sparks. Hmm... Another "swank" nightclub at a fancy hotel with an exorbitant entrance cover: Rs. 1000. By the way, if you're keeping track at home Rs 1000 is basically $22. Of course, you get drink vouchers with your Rs 1000... It doesn't make up for the fact that the drinks are also overpriced. Anyway, I'm there hanging out, there is a lot of really loud, somewhat out of date dance club music (no shocker there) and a dearth of women, again no shock. Oh, I should mention that this is a "no stag entry club" which means that men must be accompanied by a women to enter. Nonetheless, a friend of a friend got us in and we were even allowed on the dance floor! If you're into dancing in Chennai, you might as well get accustomed to dancing with men, because that's who is at the club you're going to, stag entry or no, it's full of men...

Whatever. I start drinking with these two guys, one is a singer in a local band, the other is a muslim. I was very happy with this arrangement. I started then talking about my plans to produce homemade rum. They seemed genuinely interested in this idea and so I explained how the whole thing works. I'd been told that these guys have connections to the black market and the underworld. So I casually brought up the idea, that I need a still. I explained how this works and they said they could get it for me. Funny thing is, the responded with, "I thought you wanted guns or something. It's a lot easier to get them [than a still]." Apparently, alcohol is a really bad thing around these parts, but guns, drugs, sex, not so much. While I don't particularly have a problem with "sex" the idea that it's prostitution (and usually eunuchs) that bothers me slightly more. While it's not my place to say anything about the Tamil cultures or traditions when it comes to marriage, it sure makes things miserable for single foreign men living here (ask any single foreign man in chennai...)

After these exchanges, phone numbers and all, I leave with a promise that I have a fixer that can get me copper tubing, and a still welded for me cheaply. I also left with a lot of (probably empty) promises about what I can and can't get here. This guy said he can get American beer here as well. Basically, he has pilot friends who he calls and has them pick up things when they return from their duties. Seems easy enough. I haven't exactly seen any evidence of this yet, but it's a nice idea to have in my back pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment