Sunday, February 14, 2010

A multitude of cultural happenings part 2

February 14: A day that like September 11 is marred in the minds of Lebanese worldwide. While Feb 14 is Valentine's day (an absurd made up holiday) in most of the rest of the world, it marks the day on which former Lebanese PM Rafic Hariri was assassinated by pro-Syrian forces.

I quick note on Valentine's Day: I generally dislike the whole ordeal, but many of you know that I'm not the world's most romantic individual. I'm quite mellow, and see things through the lens of numbers. I don't generally go for some large corporation telling me that I'm supposed to go buy roses and dinner for my significant other on some certain day. I'd buy dinner for her anyway... Also, I'm not really into flowers, sorry mom! But, just so we can be clear about whose day it is we are celebrating I figure I should at least mention the following. There are several men known as St. Valentine, but none of these had anything to do with romantic love. They were all martyrs of the early roman church. Where we get the idea of romance from St. Valentine I have no idea. I suspect Hallmark is behind it all.


Ok, enough said about a Holiday I generally tend to ignore, or cynically label as "single's awareness day." On to the more important subject of Rafic Hariri. While I was in Lebanon a couple weeks ago, the news was buzzing with a few stories. Of course, the Ethiopian Airlines crash, but also the preparations for Feb 14. Today in Beirut, Saad Hariri, son of Rafic Hariri and current Prime Minister, is to address crowds at Martyrs square in downtown Beirut. For the last five years, the Lebanese have been vehemently anti-Syrian (as Syria backs Hezbollah <--- not a fan) and generally causes many nuisances in Lebanon. However, Saad Hariri, visited Syria a while back and has now begun to try and ally Syria with Lebanon. I guess he won't be speaking with such venomous rhetoric toward his neighbors this year. I'm not sure where I stand on the issue. It seems Lebanon could do well to be friends with its neighbors, but I don't think this statement is unique to Lebanon. Rather EVERY COUNTRY could do well to be friends with its neighbors! (India, take note)

Now according to Business Week Lebanon will take this anniversary to demand more of a say in its own internal affairs. I think this is just a sham. Part of the problem with Lebanon having any say is that Hezbollah (<--- not a fan) is stronger than Lebanon's pathetic army. However, their backing comes from outside and now they have plenty of parliamentary seats. In addition, as long as they as occupying Lebanon's nice agricultural areas (in the wine region) and the southern port cities near Israel, there WILL be conflicts. UGH.

I wish this day could be a recollection of what truly decent people who have money can do for the world. Rafic Hariri built with his own money a PUBLIC university that one of my cousins now attends. He built bridges, paved roads, built other infrastructures from his pocket and spent a lot of energy re-investing in Lebanon. He had even begun an initiative to bring back some of Lebanon's most talented ex-patriates. In fact, one of the men assassinated with him was the minister of industry. Under his guidance Lebanese industry had a strong resurgence in just a few short years. These were the good works of Hariri and his compatriots. Today, we will have to endure more political bullshit about little bitty countries who hate each other and arguing over outdated religions, rather than celebrating the good works of a good man. Perhaps we can straighten all this out in a hundred years or so.

Whatever happens, just please, please, please, please do not let Hezbollah (<---- not a fan) take over the government entirely. They would destroy Lebanon's brilliant wine industry. And THAT is something for which I will not stand!

2 comments:

  1. I tend to agree with you on the Valentine's Day thing, I think it's ridiculous. However, when I voiced this in my office upon being asked if I had a valentine, I got this put on my desk... so I thought I would share:

    During the medieval days of chivalry, the names of English maidens and bachelors were put into the box and drawn out in pairs. Each couple exchanged gifts. The girl became the man's valentine for that year. On his sleeve he wore her name and it was his bounded duty fo attend and protect her. This old, old custom of drawing names on the fourteenth of February was considered a good omen for love. It often foretold a wedding. For since the beginning of things, this has been lovers'day, a time for loving, for giving and receiving love tokens.

    Take it as you will

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it didn't have anything to say about Rafic Hariri's assassination...

    ReplyDelete