Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The best beer of my life

I shouldn't say I had the best beer of my life, but I enjoyed it as much as any beer I can remember having for a long time. I was in Dubai's airport for a terribly long layover and after having seen all the duty free shops I decided there must be some sort of bar around. It was a bit of a search, but I found a place called "The Hub" advertising Leffe Blonde by the pint. I was certainly skeptical, but i thought I'd give it a try. Surely enough, 16 oz pint glass full of Leffe Blonde ON TAP! I was nearly in heaven. To be fair, Leffe Blonde isn't my favorite beer, nor is it even in my top 100 (however I'd probably safely put it in my top 250), but MY GOD did it taste good!?

In addition to Belgian beer in Dubai, I went with a spicy tuna roll and chicken burrito to finish out the world tour. I was talking to the host of the restaurant/pub and he told me he was from Mumbai. I asked him why it is so difficult to get good beer in this hemisphere. Although, I should ask it slightly differently. Germany, Belgium, Czech are all TECHNICALLY in the eastern hemisphere, but if you discount them, then finding good part in these parts is difficult. Nonetheless he had no idea. I think the only good breweries I can name which are east of europe are hitachino nest in Japan, and a handful of micros from down under that have made their way to the states.

All things being held equal, after subjecting myself to nearly 3 months of terrible to decent beer, it was a very happy moment to have an authentic belgian beer served in as a full pint! It was so good I ordered a second one. Funny enough, the call to prayer started for the prayer rooms at the airport as my second pint arrived. I wasn't sure what to make of it. So I refrained from gulping down the whole pint until the prayers had ended. I decided I'd offer a little thanks to God for creating barley, hops, water, yeast, and Belgium. I thought it was fitting. I thought back to Ben Franklin and Philadelphia...

Ben Franklin's (in my mind) most famous quote
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." I agree Ben, I certainly do.

1 comment: