Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ash Wednesday

There are very few things I do that outwardly show that I actually practice as an Episcopalian. Partly because no one knows (including episcopalians) what it is that episcopalians really believe in. However, there is exactly one season that I really do take seriously and that is Lent. As it is, Ash Wednesday is a big deal to me. So yesterday, being Ash Wednesday and all, I decided I needed to get ashes rubbed on my forehead. It looked bleak. I don't really know of any "closeby" churches that are anglican or even remotely close to anglican. I know there is a big catholic church, but that's quite a hike, and I have no idea when their services are. Well, as it was, I went out with some visitors from Poland last night. We walked over toward Elliot's beach and decided to have dinner. On the way, I got a stiff reminder that I'd missed ash wednesday... I saw several hundred people walking the other direction with ashes on their foreheads... Then I realized that the big church right on the beach is catholic. So, appealing to the Poles (97% are catholic) I asked if I could run over and see the church. They walked over with me, and I ran over to where I could get the imposition of ashes. I did my little E-team prayers within the catholic church and asked some gentleman to put ashes on me. That was that. I actually somehow managed to not miss ash wednesday entirely. In fact I was even bold enough to walk around with ashes on my forehead for the entire evening thereafter. In the United States it's not a problem. Ash Wednesday is not usually in a time of year in which sweat will wash away the ashes in minutes. I had to refrain from wiping my forehead every few seconds. After a while, the ashes were gone anyway. But, in India, where it is so often necessary to state your religious affiliation openly, I try to avoid that entirely. I will however make an exception on one day a year. That day was yesterday and I got to have an approximate Beginning to Lent. I gotta figure out what to do when Easter rolls around...

2 comments:

  1. Hindus spread ash on their forehead everyday, but that ash is made from cow dung. Ironically it has another function beside simply being a religious symbol, the ash is supposed to act, too, as a body coolant. I am not sure what your ash was created from initially, but I am sure that it could have similar properties. However, like feeling 'winter' one may need to be in Chennai for a few years to feel rotating seasons and the 'cooling' feeling ash can provide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ash in my case is made from palm leaves. In fact they are supposed to be the palm leaves from the previous year's palm sunday celebration. As far as a body coolant, I'm not sure. I guess I could believe it. But as you know, Chennai is always hot.

    ReplyDelete