Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mamallapuram

My sister and I decided to take a week trip (not a weekend trip) to Pondicherry. The weekend seemed like it would be to crazy, and we already need a break from India. So we went, but in the meantime since Mamallapuram (commonly called Mahabalipuram) is directly en route we decided to stop there, eat lunch, take some photos, enjoy it, and then when ready catch the next bus down to Pondy. It's nice because the express buses, while crowded, crazy, and mostly uncomfortable come something like every 12 minutes and the entire trip from Chennai to Pondicherry costs Rs 48 per person. That is to say, $1 each, each way.

I can't believe I hadn't yet been to Mamallapuram! There are some really amazing old temples carved from stone into hillsides. Very intricate carvings as well. Lots of big rocks, and as my sister will point out, lots of cute goats and dogs. We spent the afternoon basically taking pictures and talking to other tourists. I got involved in a reasonably lengthy discussion of french brandy with a group of older french tourists. I think they were impressed that a dirty looking american kid knew so much about the good stuff. We then went on the Krishna's butter ball. This is a huge rock which balances in what looks like a precarious position, but really has several tons of rock weighing it down from moving. Of course, we avoided taking the standard pictures of either of us holding up the rock, instead reverted to our old ways of me acting like I was getting crushed and Amanda tasting a huge piece of "rock" candy.

I hope to get these pictures up soonish...

1 comment:

  1. In the Big Rock Candy Mountains there's a land of French tourists
    Where the bus rides are a dollar and come in 12 minutes
    Where the butterball of Krishna defies all natural laws
    Where stone elephants stride on the carved hillside
    Where the dogs are cute and the goats are too
    In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

    (Sorry. The only way to get that song out of my head to think of a parody.)

    ReplyDelete