Saturday, February 6, 2010

A cold night's sleep

The mountains in Lebanon where I am sit at 950 m. In the summer the weather is nearly perfect. Perhaps it gets a little hot because the latitude is far enough south, but otherwise perfect in the summer. However, 950m lends itself to an actual winter. The winter here is akin to that of east tennessee where I grew up. There is a principal difference though...

No heat in the bedrooms! The last two nights it's been freezing overnight and I have a window in my bedroom. In addition to that I have a large bedroom with high ceilings and very little insulation. The room is very close to the temperature outside. In the daytime we stay warm by sitting in a single room and gathering around the woodburning stove/oven/heater. When I retire to my room for the evening it's cold. Cold enough to see my breath. The tile floor doesn't exactly help either. YIKES IT'S COLD! In order to keep myself warm I've had to adopt a very Lebanese mountain way of sleeping; that is to say, wrapping myself completely in blankets, heavy blankets, and covering my head with a sweater. I even have to put a warm blanket down first to sleep on as the bedding itself is too cold to sleep on. So my method has been something of this sort...

I stay with the fire as long as possible, getting my sweatshirt or fleece as hot as possible. Then I jump into the bed with sweatpants and sweater on. I allow the blanket to get heated, then I remove the outermost sweater and put it on my pillow. I then fold the sweater over my head to create for myself a nice cacoon or hot air from my head. (Make all the jokes you want here, I'm happy to not freeze my face off.)

After this I pull the really heavy blankets all the over my head and curl up and ferociously rub my hands on the blankets to warm them with friction (again make all the jokes you want). After all this when my body heat radiates enough to sufficiently warm the bed I can sleep comfortably. I also realize I don't move a lot during the night because I have to heat other areas of the bed. So I've made it thus far, and it's been interesting. A couple more nights of sleeping in intense cold before going back to sleep in intense heat...

2 comments:

  1. The cocoon-method: It's like sleeping in a hug.

    My mother used to sleep with heating pads to help her with her back pain. They're inexpensive and would probably work just as well to heat a bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oowwweeee it can hurt being cold...
    but it is nice being cozy under the blankets too...wool and down, man's 2 best friends ;)

    ReplyDelete