Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Queen's English

Those of you who've had the (mis)fortune of hanging out with me at parties in the last couple of years know that I'm obsessed with languages (not as much as brewing, mind you, but languages nevertheless). Even listening to the radio I have a habit (good or bad depending on your stance) of repeating words that sound funny to me, and trying to nail the accent. I have had a particularly difficult time with what I call "the Australian 'o'." I suppose it's more of the 'o' that people in eastern Australia say, rather than something that is said out in the bushes, but I still can't say it correctly. British English, on the other hand, I've got a decent grasp on. I suppose listening to Chicago's relay of the BBC world service nearly every day has helped that along. While in Stourport and Bewdley my hosts said that they have strong regional accents there. To me they weren't that strong. It's not the London accent, but the english is fairly clear. I was informed, however, that my host in Duxford speaks the Queen's English, and is proper. This was good information. I had been working on a subtle British accent for the 8 days in England, and was told a few times that it sounded convincing. I even managed to pick up a few idioms that I hadn't remembered.

Here's a quick list of things Brits say and how they translate into American English.
Most of these, I suppose you'll all already know, but some are fun.

lift = elevator
flat = apartment
puncture = flat tire
chips = french fries
crisps = potato chips
bin = trash can
rubbish = trash
Can you make heads or tails of it? = Does it make sense?
chin wag = chat
loads = lots
mooch = mooch (if you're talking about a free loader)
mooch = look around (if you're browsing a store)
"We're just having a bit of a mooch"
mate = friend
jumper = sweatshirt
trainers = sneakers
pants = underwear
trousers = pants


It's fun to try to work those things into normal daily speech and keep your accent as American as possible. It begs funny looks, and often an explanation, but a funny one.

Anyway, back to the Queen's English. My host owns a wine store in Cornwall, is multilingual, and speaks perfect (Queen's) English. It was an interesting experience being in the birthplace of my mother tongue, and having learned it far better than the last time I visited. I can't quite decide whether or not the pacing of American English or British English is faster, and I can't decide which would be more difficult to learn for a non-native speaker. What I've landed on for the time being is that a non-native speaker of English who moves to the southeastern USA, or the far northern UK, will essentially have an impossible time learning proper English. Past that, I can't quite tell. I find the Queen's English imminently understandable, much in the way I find the quintessential "midwestern" accent understandable.
Perhaps while teaching next year I'll try and use only british idioms while using my "american" accent. Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment