Friday, July 29, 2011

First Activities in Frankfurt

We flew to Frankfurt and I was informed that we were attending a 30th birthday party. I thought, AWESOME! A German Party my first night in Germany! I came to find out, that this was not a German party at all, but a party of foreigners, mostly Iranians in Germany. There were, of course, a few Germans there, but they explained to me the differences in the party. First of all, at a German party, there is no Persian pop music. Second, German parties often have a much higher proportion of men. Third, a German party will NEVER run out of beer (this is capitol offense number one). Fourth, you will rarely see a party where most of the people don't drink.

Another rough spot for the evening was the presence of rain. It had rained everyday I was in England, and my first night in Germany it rained, hard. In fact, it got really cold as well. It was July 25, and I could see my breath in the air. It was cold rain in the dog days of summer. Apparently, I'm experiencing unusual weather in Europe. Mind you, I'm not at all shocked by this. Somehow I have the good (mis)fortune of experiencing strange weather while traveling. I think I even wrote two other entries about it.

Well, the party was fun. It was an interesting first day in germany. I was at an iranian 30th birthday party with iranian food, girly drinks, cold summer, and finding myself completely lacking in any German language tools. The police came beause someone else had called it in. Apparently, the area in which we were, is a foreigners area. Very few actual Germans live in the area where we were in Frankfurt. But the Polizei showed up. One was a guy who had a shaved head and was wearing a long braided ponytail in the back. He looked really disturbing, so I stayed out of that action. We all went inside to continue the party of dancing and drinking "Tequila" and smoking "cuban" cigars. I eventually smoked my first cigar. I have to say, I didn't really enjoy it. I was told that it was a Cuban cigar, and the lure of something so exotic and illegal as an American excited me. It turned out it was some shit cigar made in the EU. I don't even know where the tobacco came from. It tasted like someone had added a spice mixture to the tobacco. I couldn't taste anything after that for a while. Not exactly what I'd envisioned for a "cuban" cigar. However, I guess I'm still in the clear with the US government. I apparently didn't even come close to a cuban. It is my understanding, that I'm a lot closer (in physical proximity) to cuban cigars when I'm in major cities in America than I was that night.

After a short night's sleep we got up and began the process of recovering from a party. It was raining again and we had to pack up a party tent, picnic tables, and chairs. Collect all the bottles, glass and plastic, make sure all the trash was in its correct bin, and eat the leftovers which were soon to go bad. All in a Sunday afternoon post-party recovery. What a interesting introduction to Germany!

No comments:

Post a Comment